Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Popsicles, Lollipops and Red Hot Cheetos




OH MY!!!

You may be wondering what these random three things have in common.
It happens to be a little thing called Red Dye #4o and it is by far not my favorite thing.

Well it used to be a daily part of my life, until about three months ago.

I came down with a random fever but no other symptoms. Then my lip started swelling, followed by my face and then it began to be a chore to swallow.
Went to the emergency room and the doctor man said that I probably had an allergy to ibuprofen (or however you spell it).

The next day however I had four popsicles and my face turned as red as a stop sign and my face swelled up. We have a winner!!!!

*A LITTLE HISTORY ON MYSELF*

  • When I was about a year old my parents gave some cough syrup with red dye in it. I was up for 24 hours. ( When I ate the popsicles I felt like I was on a crazy rollercoaster of energy. )
  • The first time I had a red icee. . . HA. It was exorcist vomiting to no end.
  • The sad thing is, or should I say the happy thing is, that after those two events I never really had any other reactions.
  • I stayed away from red icees and fruit punch. I even avoided red snow cones.
  • Did I mention my favorite flavor of everything is cherry? Cherry stuff is usually red, makes sense.

*Back to Now*

So yeah, I haven't had anything with red dye# 40 in it for about 3 months now.
I have been going to the allergist, and so far we have ruled out an allergy to penicillin.
Next Tuesday is the moment of truth. I will find out next week if I am actually allergic or if my body was just beyond screwed up.

I would now like to take a moment to honor a few of my fallen snacks:
I surely do miss my cherry tootsie pops. I actually told my allergist I am going to be bringing along a lollipop to test with my popsicles. If it's gonna be my last lollipop I am going to enjoy it while there is someone there who can help with the swelling and closing of my throat.

Gummi Bears are great road trip snacks, especially when bought at Cracker Barrel.
My recent trips have been minus a few good friends sadly.
M&MS!!!!! I have actually tried the blue ones and nothing happened, but it is kind of pointless to buy a whole bag just for the blue ones.
(I even had to change my amazing cookie recipe and had to use chocolate chips instead of M&Ms. Christmas is coming quickly and I am known for my amazing green and red M&M cookies, such a sad sad day it will be when m cookies are not full of Christmas cheer.)
It's still 90 degrees almost every day. A frozen popsicle would sure be nice.

Sprinkles don't even need an explanation.

I can eat fresh cherries, but maraschino cherries are just so much more delicious.

What is Christmas without candy canes? I am obsessed with Christmas and it would be a tragedy to loose these precious stripped canes of candy.


No comments:

Post a Comment